The Renaissance Project will be ‘Rap and Hip Hop’s
Progressive Revolutionary Publication.’ We are currently a digital zine from PRISM Collaborative Media publishing on Medium. We are dedicated to providing innovative, honest thought in regards to the future of hip hop, as a culture and a music genre.
· Juwan Holmes, Editorial Revolutionary-In-Charge / CURATOR of PRISM ·
· Paul K. Barnes, Lieutenant of Editorial Affairs ·
· A.A. Heron, Assistant Curator of PRISM Media ·
“You know the history. You see what’s going on today. What is waiting for us — lovers, haters and observers alike — down the rest of this road? What will the world of hip hop look like now that its right to existence and power needs no more evidence?
“The Renaissance is designed to show you that world, mirroring the universe that defines this huge culture with the people living in it, their words, and their image. We look to capture hip hop’s population in the midst of their Sista Soulja moment. We look to record the words, unfiltered, of those driving through the crash courses of the genre, presently and into the future. Together, from this you’ll be able to grasp a real insider view of the most-listened to genre in music and the real emotions of the culture within that dominates urban America.
“Our content will not be similar to most, if any hip hop publications currently in operation. We will not debate the best of this or list the newest that. We will not fluff the elite, or trash those who are different. We will not blindly praise the past, or demoan the modern presentation of hip hop. We will scholarly review, and dissertate educationally, the world of rap. We will talk about what is changing, or needs to change, within the genre. We will report on news, events, and commentary with zeal. The Renaissance will provide insight and nuance that those that are truly hip hop can appreciate, while holding itself according to exemplary journalistic standard.”
***Read our Full Manifesto***
Contact us at: prismrenaissance (atsymbol) gmail (dot) com
The Renaissance is not taking pitches or music submissions at this time. Check back later or on our other sites for updates for if and when that happens!
- Circa 2001: A Memoir — and Plato Allegory — of Life in the 21st CenturyMiami-born rapper Liiight discusses his melancholy coming-of-age EP — “there’s no reason to share anything but love”
- The Renaissance Gains Its First 1,000 ReadersThe PRISM Collaborative is excited to reveal that its first digital zine site, The Renaissance Project, has attracted readers to view their stories over 1,000 times since its launch.
- JAY-Z’s Latest Problem: Performative ActivismThis is far from the billionaire rapper’s first time “selling out”, but this is “a huge disservice” to black and brown youth everywhere.
Productions · Representation · Images · Sound · Media (The Renaissance)